Twitter

Follow me on Twitter: @janemcintyre12

JanePic

Hello.

I'm Jane McIntyre, a voiceover and writer, formerly an award-winning BBC radio newsreader and producer. My blog covers life, love and loss; travel, coffee and chocolate; with some heartfelt pieces in the mix about my late dad, who had dementia. Just a click away, I'm half of the team behind www.thetimeofourlives.net - two empty nesters who whizzed round the world in 57 days.

Saturday 14 April 2012

Ninety minutes from now........





.........it`ll be all over. Jo Cunningham`s incredible 12 hours on a cross trainer at a gym in Shrewsbury. She`s raising money for the Alzheimer`s Society, and Al`s Cafe, a social group for people with dementia, and their carers. And yes, I know I`ve written about Jo before (please grab a look at my April 6th post :`When the going gets tough`...to find out why I love this girl...! But here you go: once more, with feeling.

Whatever you`ve been doing today, Jo`s probably been pounding away on the cross trainer for much of it. I last called in on her at around 3pm, and she`d only had two breaks of around a minute each. She looked fresh, smiley, full of energy, and was going at a cracking pace.

That was eight hours in to her amazing charity challenge. Much earlier, there`d been just three of us in the gym. Jo, Tara and me. Tara`s mum has Alzheimer`s. So does my dad. And Jo`s own dad has a form of dementia called Pick`s disease,diagnosed when he was still just 58. We had this strong, heartbreaking link in common, and talked about how cruel the disease can be for those with it, and those who love them.

Whether or not you know someone with dementia, please spare a thought,or a bit of cash, for Jo, the ones we love, and her extraordinary feat today.

I`ll be back at the Shrewsbury Club (used to be the Welti)just before 7pm tonight to see Jo finish. Why don`t you come along too and give her a huge cheer. Go Jo. You`re an amazing mate, and what you`ve done today is an inspiration

http://www.justgiving.com/crosstrainerchallenge">http://www.justgiving.com/crosstrainerchallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment