Twitter

Follow me on Twitter: @janemcintyre12

JanePic

Hello.

I'm Jane McIntyre, a voiceover and writer, formerly an award-winning BBC radio newsreader and producer. My blog covers life, love and loss; travel, coffee and chocolate; with some heartfelt pieces in the mix about my late dad, who had dementia. Just a click away, I'm half of the team behind www.thetimeofourlives.net - two empty nesters who whizzed round the world in 57 days.

Tuesday 17 April 2012

London calling


Shropshire`s a beautiful place to live. We`re so lucky to have access to its hills,lakes,stunning castles and beautiful market towns.And although it`s got its pressures, it always feels like life in the slow lane. In a nice way. So now and again..it`s good to have a shot in the arm of city life too.Even if it`s just to appreciate what you`ve left behind.



I know as soon as I get off the train at Euston tomorrow, my first instinct will be to run. I was born in Ealing, in west London and remember being taken on the tube as a toddler, running down endless subway corridors against the rush of the underground draught if we heard the rumble of the train pulling in at our platform.

At 19 I was commuting from the suburbs to the city to work as a journalist, nearly always running for the 8.08 to Charing Cross, squeezing in to find a seat, then leaping in and out of taxis or trains and sometimes catching planes during my working week. Always against the clock.

Tomorrow there are no meetings. No business courses. No pressures. I booked a ticket ages ago for the Lucian Freud exhibition, so an amble round that is on the cards, then dinner and a show with my eldest daughter who`s studying in London.

On Thursday at Charing Cross station I`ll smirk at the commuters belting across the concourse, and head out against the flow to see Dad in Kent. That`s the plan. So if I`m in your way, or not running quite as fast as you (even though I could....)...then tough luck. I`m taking my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment